This book will help you prepare and pass the exam for Oracle Certified Professional (OCP), Java SE 6 Programmer (1Z0-851) -- earlier known as the Sun Certified Programmer for the Java Platform, Standard Edition 6 (CX-310-065) exam. This book is written for any experienced programmer (with or without previous knowledge of Java) interested in mastering the Java programming language and passing the OCP 1.6 exam.
A Programmer's Guide to Java™ SCJP Certification, Third Edition, contains detailed coverage of all exam topics and objectives, readily runnable code examples, programming exercises, extensive review questions, and a new mock exam. In addition, as a comprehensive primer to the Java programming language, this book is an invaluable reference tool for the reader.
This new edition has been thoroughly updated to focus on the latest version of the exam (1Z0-851). In particular, it contains in-depth explanations of the language features, and their usage is illustrated by way of code scenarios, as required by the exam. The complete source code for all the examples, and solutions to the programming exercises can be downloaded.What you will find in this book:
- Extensive coverage of all the objectives defined for the Oracle Certified Professional (OCP), Java SE 6 Programmer (1Z0-851) exam
- Easy-to-follow structure with chapters organized according to the exam objectives
- Summaries that clearly state and differentiate the exam objectives and the supplementary objectives to be covered in each chapter
- A list of Oracle's objectives for the SCJP/OCP 1.6 exam, and a guide to taking the exam
- A complete mock exam with new questions (not repeats of review questions)
- Numerous exam-relevant review questions to test your understanding of each major topic, with annotated answers
- Programming exercises and solutions at the end of each chapter
- Copious code examples illustrating concepts, where the code has been compiled and thoroughly tested on multiple platforms
- Program output demonstrating expected results from running the examples
- Extensive use of UML (Unified Modeling Language) for illustration purposes
- An introduction to basic terminology and concepts in object-oriented programming
- Advice on how to avoid common pitfalls in mastering the language and taking the exam
- Platform and tool independent coverage: platform and tool specific details are provided where relevant
- Ample topics for other Oracle Certified Professional Java exams
Online version of the book can be found here here.
Updated version of the book for OCP Java SE 7 exams expected to be published spring 2014.
We also have a web site for the second edition of the book