Main research interests: NP-complete problems and graph algorithms
Current research focus:
- Solving NP-hard graph problems in polynomial time on specific graph classes.
- Graph modification problems; obtaining particular properties by vertex deletions, edge deletions, or edge contractions.
- Parameterized and moderately exponential time algorithms for NP-hard graph problems.
- Width parameters and linear layouts in graphs.
- Graph searching.
- Covering, homomorphism, and domination type problems on graphs.
- Minimal separators, minimal triangulations, and minimal completions of arbitrary graphs into specific graph classes.
- Combinatorial scientific computing
- Problems related to resource allocation in communication networks
During the last years I received three large research project grants from the Research Council of Norway: Minimal Triangulations of Graphs (2006-2010), Exploiting Structure to Cope with Hard Problems (2010-2015), and The renaissance of graph classes - new algorithmic theory of forbidden indued subgraphs (2016 - 2020). Thanks to these project grants I have had the pleasure of mentoring the following post doctoral researchers funded by these projects:
List of publications