Stendarskarfjellet / Yndesdalsnakken

  • Stendarskarfjellet / Yndesdalsnakken
  • 680 m
  • Prominence 133 m
  • Akershus, Norway.
  • Location: North 60.91671, East 005.40956 (GPS on the summit)
  • Difficulty: YDS class 2
  • Climbed: November 2. 2021


How to get there:
This mountain is located far north and west in Hordaland. From Bergen, drive north on E-39, cross Romarheimen and continue past Masfjorden. Enter the uphill tunnel named Jernfjelltunnelen and leave E-39 shortly after you exit this tunnel. The sign says Duesund, turn off to the left and follow this road about 4.2 kilometer. Look for a sign for Kalhovda that exits right. Take this road. First, it backtracks a bit and crosses a bridge. About 0.7 kilometer after entering this road, make a left at a junction near a house. Continue across a narrow bridge, less then 0.3 kilometer from the previous junction exit left in a fork where the paved road heads uphill along the right fork. Continue along this (gravel) road and make a right at the next fork, again about 0.3 kilometer from the beginning of the gravel road. This road looks really small, but can be driven by ordinary cars. The road crosses the creek on a wooden bridge, then continues steeply uphill. The hill is steep enough to require the lowest gear you have. The road ends rather suddenly, there is parking for 2-3 cars. This is the trailhead, location N60:54.836, E005:26.681, elevation about 275 meter.
Route description:
Cross the creek on the bridge. A rough forest road heads uphill. Follow it until it ends, a trail continues uphill next to the creek. This trail turns right and eventually tops out in a small, local col. Continue 50 meter, then turn uphill (left) on easy terrain. You will find a small trail higher up, before the terrain levels off as you approach a small pond. Follow the trail left (of the pond) to a place where the creek is easy to cross. Continue west and pass the first summit slightly on the left side. Continue to the summit.
I left at 1030 and arrived at the summit at 1045. After a brief stop, I returned back down following a slightly more direct line. The descent took 40 minutes.