• Koppefjellet
  • 940 m
  • Primary factor 602 m
  • Møre og Romsdal, Norway
  • Location: North 62:07.064 East 006:12.062 (GPS on the summit)
  • Difficulty: YDS class 1
  • Climbed February 5, 2012.


How to get there:
This mountain is south-east of the village Volda on Sunnmøre. Drive south-east from Volda, staying on the north side of the fjord Austefjorden. This road will soon be renamed Hwy. E-39. After Hjartåbygda locate Hwy. 43 that sharply turns left and climbs north connecting to Ørsta. Find parking when seeing lake Ullalandsvatnet on your right hand side. This is location N62:06.394 E006:12.850, elevation about 285 meter.
Route description:
You will see Koppefjellet on the left hand side of the road. A shallow valley extends uphill on the south side (left side of the summit). You will see that there are two cols, a lower one straight uphill, and a somewhat more narrow gully that leads to a higher col closer to the summit (further right). One should evaluate the avalanche conditions in winter. The rightmost route is steeper and more direct. The lower col, then the ridge (that will traverse a hump) is likely the safer winter route. In either case, gain the south-west ridge and follow this to the summit. The cairn is at the far end of a final, very level summit ridge.
After climbing Storebøra, I drove via Volda to lake Ullalandsvatnet. I started out at 1230. Skiing was good and I decided to climb via the more direct, but steeper route. However, at elevation 670 meter, the snow got rather crusty and the wind started to bother me. Thus, I left my skis, put on crampons and decided to go straight uphill, a steeper route among rocks rather than the accumulated snow drifts in the gully. I hit the ridge just below its very final, gentle stretch. Arriving at the summit at 1415, I was happy with my second summit of the day. Rather surprising, the storm force wind completely died down at the very summit. This phenomenon, does indeed happen, I do not know exactly what conditions are needed. There was even some limited view to the north.
I left after perhaps 10 minutes and decided to follow the ridge down to the col on my descent. Soon, the wind was near hurricane force, this col was definitely the most windy event of the day. The final ski descent was quite nice and I reached my car at 1500.
What remained was a rather long drive back to Bergen where I arrived at 2130 after driving in pretty bad snow drift conditions for several hours.