• Hemnafjellet
  • 681 m
  • Primary factor 603 m
  • Nord-Trøndelag, Norway.
  • Location: North 64.41405, East 011.24473 GPS on the summit)
  • Climbed October 12. 2017
  • Difficulty: YDS class 1


How to get there:
From Steinkjer, drive north on E-6, but then, quite shortly, turn left onto Hwy. 17, signed for Namsos. Follow this road to the south end of the fjord Løgnin (this place is called Sjøåsen), where you turn left onto Hwy. 766.
As you get to the first sign of the fjord going south near Buvika, turn right onto a smaller road where you see a white house (located at this road). Follow this road 5.3 kilometer, pay (self serve) toll along the way. The road heads east with the lake Sundsvatnet on the right hand side. You will see two white houses and a red building, one hundred meter beyond this, turn right onto a smaller road. This road crosses a field then bends left. Find parking here at location N64.43853, E011.28746, elevation about 20 meter.

Continue along the road, it climbs to a local col, descend on the far side. As the road bends right you will find the beginning of the trail marked by several poles on the roadside. The trail forks right and is marked (more than necessary) with poles all the way to the summit.
Just before the summit, the trail crosses a small ravine on a big wooded bridge, obviously only needed for transportation. There are two summits separated by a shallow col. The first (rightmost) summit has a cairn. This point is 1-2 meter lower than the summit located further left right next to a small building. This summit has several more structures.
I did this hike with my friend Erik. We drove from Steinkjer and wwere ready to walk by 1115. The hike was pleasant with nice fall colors and a good view back down to the fjord and to the town of Namsos. Eventually, we hiked into the low clouds and visibility became more limited. We arrived at the cairn at 1300 after quite a relaxed walk.
As the two summit points were nerly equal in hight, I had a first opportunity to test my new hand level, it just arrived in the mail. The new instrument confirmed that the summit next to the building is the highest. We stayed around for perhaps 30 minutes before descending. The descent was equally nice and we were back at the car at 1550.
Many thanks to Erik for good company.