• Tvarafjellet
  • 1293 m
  • Primary factor 100 meter
  • Location: North 60.69199, East 006.33982 (GPS on the summit)
  • Hordaland, Norway
  • Difficulty: (YDS) class 2
  • Climbed January 24. 2021


How to get there:
From Bergen, drive E-16 towards Voss. About 3 kilometer after Bulken, turn left to Dyrvedalen (signed road). Drive uphill, staying on the east (right) side of the valley, eventually the road cuves left and crosses the creek. Almost immediately after this, turn sharply right. There is a self serve toll road here. Pay NOK 30 (2021) by Vipps. Continue uphill a few hundred meter, cross a cattle guard and find parking on your right hand side. The road continues left, however, this road is not supposed to be used in winter. The parking is at N60.64901, E006.32665, elevation 335 meter.
Route description:
Follow the forest road uphill. It curves left pretty soon, then continues with a long zig-zag. Higher up, the road climbs more steeply. The ski track (used by quite a few locals), continues uphill to a small hut, then another steep step to leave the trees behind. An old farm house, Tunnaset, is located a short way further uphill. Continue following the DNT trail, partly marked with some sticks, as it climbs gently pretty much heading north. Continue until you reach about 1260 meter. From here, head north-east, crossing lake 1282 (or possibly lake 1281). Descend into Helleskaret, just south of the steep rockface belonging to Gygrabruni. Contour east and north in order to reach the gentle north slopes of Tvarafjellet. Ascend to the summit. The summit cairn is located close to a steep slope facing west.
The forecast was not great, but I needed to get out into the mountains. I decided to climb Tvarafjellet, this summit has almost exactly 100 meter of prominence, otherwise it is sort of out of the way.
I started out at 0915. Visibility was soon reduced to near zero. I skied along the route to the Vola DNT hut, then headed more north-west to find the col Helleskaret. This descent was tricky, no visibility and local features too small to be captured on the map. I made it safely down. The rest was pretty easy. It took me 4.5 hours, largely because of the lack of visual orientation.
The big bonus was being able to follow my ascent ski track all the way back. The return took slighly less than 2 hours and I was back at my car at 1600.
People had clearly been out of town, the traffic going bad to Bergen was about as bad as I have ever seen it. I finally hit home at 1900, the sauna was pretty hot by then!