Monte Taburno

  • Monte Taburno
  • 1394 m.
  • Primary factor 1114 m.
  • Italy
  • Location: North 41.09263, East 014.60360 (GPS at the summit)
  • Difficulty: (YDS) class 1.
  • Climbed July 26. 2017.


How to get there:
First, locate Telese Terme about 47 kilometer to the north-east of Napoli (Naples). Next, locate Frasso Telesino about 7 kilometer south of Telese Terme (slightly west), at the entrance to a valley that cuts this mountain area in two parts. Drive Hwy. SP-120 (east) up this valley. Up at a large, flat col area, turn right onto Hwy. SP-117. This road will take you to the trailhead. The trailhead is next to a new (2017) large (rifugio?) building, immediately before the road starts descending from the mountain. A small side road could be driven up behind this building and parking could be found. In any event, locate parking in this area. Our parking was close to the trailhead (behind the building), at location N41.09850, E014.60836, elevation about 1025 meter.
Route description:
The trail starts at the small road near the back corner of the building, a few old steps mark the beginning. The trail is well marked with the normal red/white paint and it is a big, wide trail all the way. First, a bit to the right, then uphill with several sharp turns. Higher up, there is a signed trail fork with a smaller trail going left. Ignore this and proceed up the main (big) trail. Next, you reach a broad, flat saddle with a new trail fork. Turn left and continue to follow a big trail that heads directly for the final hillside. The trail now climbs this hill with a very gentle angle, lots of zig-zag turns. Finally, you emerge at the rightmost end of a short, grassy summit ridge. There is a really big summit cross at the opposite end. You have a pretty nice view down to the populated area at the base of the mountain.
This mountain was located close to our base at Telese Terme and Heidi came along, our main objective for the day would be a visit to the city of Benevento. We arrived at the trailhead around 0920 and I started up the trail at 0930. Heidi walked independently to the main (flat) col just before the final uphill to the summit. I arrived on top at 1005, there were two big cows walking about up near the top. The trail was just a bit too long (flat zig-zags) to make it up in 30 minutes.
A nice, grassy summit ridge. Time for a few photos as well as a slurp of water. I started back down at 1015, and with a mix of walk and jogging, arrived back down in 15 minutes at 1030 sharp. Heidi had just returned only minutes ahead of me.