• Papoutsa
  • 1542 m.
  • Primary factor 282 m.
  • Cyprus
  • Location: North 34.89992, East 033.05814 (GPS at the summit)
  • Difficulty: (YDS) class 1.
  • Climbed December 15. 2012.


How to get there:
There are several possibilities, this detailed description is a nice route, it also helps describing the route to the other peaks I climbed this day.
From motorway A1 in Limassol, most signs says Lemesos, take exit number 27. In the traffic circle follow signs for E-110, direction to Palodia and Gerasa. Measure from this traffic circle. At kilometer 5.3, you are in Palodia, go straight and stay on E-110. Around kilometer 13.3, you will pass by the nice village of Geresa (on your left), continue on E-110. At kilometer 19.9, turn right in order to stay on E-110 (a bit later there is a left curve, stay on E-110). Then, at kilometer 22.4, turn sharply right and leave E-110, the new road is F-139. Shortly after, at 22.6, go straight ahead. At kilometer 29.2, fork right (uphill), there is a sign here saying Troodos 43. Finally, at kilometer 32.0, you reach a main col and road fork, this is the trailhead for Papoutsa. Actually, keep right and continue about 25 meter in order to locate a small parking area on your right hand side. This location is N34.90623, E033.05363, elevation about 1256 meter.
Route description:
The trail heads uphill directly from the parking area at the very lower end of what is the north ridge. Follow this trail as it zig-zags uphill along the ridge until the ridge merges with the west ridge (from your right). The trail now turns more east and easily gains the summit. The summit has a small religous memorial and a large white summit cross.
This summit connects via a short ridge to a second summit of very similar height. To cross over is a simple scramble, (YDS) class 2.
Here is a Google map documenting my hikes on Cyprus.
I parked at a small turn-out exactly at the col and failed to see the correct parking and the trailhead. I left at 1430, walked a few meter downhill (the wrong way), then climbed loose and awkward terrain in order to reach the ridge. The trail was a pleasant surprise and made this ascent much easier than expected. I arrived at the summit at 1455. I spent 10 minutes enjoying the view as well as doing the short traverse to the second summit and back. Descending at 1505, I was back down by the car in 15 minutes. This was my last climb on Cyprus, time to head back down to The Four Season Hotel in Limassol where a (hopefully) nice oriental dinner had been booked for 1930.